Ney Nature Center is looking for candidates to be considered for two open Ney Board positions.
The board is made up of nine directors who serve a three year term and are eligible to serve three total terms in a row. Members also serve on at least one committee.
To be considered, please contact Becky at 507-357-8582, firstname.lastname@example.org, or apply above by clicking the Apply Now! button.
Expectations of Board Members
As the highest leadership body of the Ney Nature Center (NNC) and to satisfy its fiduciary duties, the board is responsible for
- Determining the mission and purposes of the organization.
- Selecting and evaluating the performance of the Executive Director.
- Strategic and organizational planning.
- Ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management.
- Fundraising and resource development.
- Approving and monitoring the NNC’s programs and services.
- Enhancing the NNC’s public image.
- Assessing its own performance as the governing body of the NNC.
Each Individual Board Member is Expected to
- Know the organization’s mission, policies, programs, and needs.
- Faithfully read and understand the NNC’s financial statements.
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the NNC and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for the NNC to advance its mission.
- Leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve the NNC’s mission.
- Be a member in good standing.
- Give a meaningful personal financial donation.
- Help identify personal connections that can benefit the NNC’s fundraising and reputational standing and can influence organizational policy.
- Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings.
- Participate fully in one or more committees.
- Follow the NNC’s bylaws, policies, and board resolutions.
- Sign an annual conflict-of-interest disclosure and update it during the year, if necessary, as well as disclose potential conflicts before meetings and actual conflicts during meetings.
- Maintain confidentiality about all internal matters of the NNC.
Terms of Board Members
According to the NNC bylaws, there are nine (9) members on the board with three (3) positions elected annually at large from the members by the membership. (Article II. Section 2.). The term of office is three (3) years, commencing on July 1. No director shall serve more than three (3) consecutive terms. After an absence of one (1) full year, a member may again be eligible for election to the board. (Article II. Section 3.) According to the NNC bylaws, the term of each officer is one (1) year, commencing on July 1.
Officers are elected separately by the newly elected board at the recommendation of the Nominating Committee. Officer terms commence on July 1. No officer shall serve more than two (2) consecutive terms. After an absence of one (1) full year, a member may again be eligible for election as an officer. (Article V. Section 2.)